June 7, 2013

An Interview with Fr. Nicholas Milich - Part 2

The following is part 2 of an interview with our Chaplain, Rev. Nicholas Milich, done by the Latin Mass Network back in 2007. If you missed part 1 you can click here to read the beginning of the interview.

  My Anchor, and My Constant Challenge- The Traditional Latin Mass: 

An Interview Fr. Nicholas A. Milich

Photo by Mr. Ron Placzek

 Part II of the Interview:

6. Fr. Milich, what is the most important thing a parishioner can do to show their respect and appreciation for the priesthood?

Fr. Milich responds:
"I think that it is important for parishioners--including those who have no interest in the Traditional Latin Mass themselves--to recognize how important, even vital, it is for their priests to offer the older Mass. The older Mass is an instrument of sanctification for the priesthood. So, I would hope parishioners could be patiently supportive of their priests and try to learn what it is in the older Mass that so strongly draws their priests--and which so wondrously built up the Church over the centuries."

7. What advice do you have for parents who want to encourage vocations in their family? 

Fr. Milich responds:
"Take your children to the Traditional Latin Mass. Have them learn it, along with several of the traditional devotions.  Enroll them in a schola, have the boys serve Mass, pray daily for the Church and priests and bishops, put Mary in a place of honor. God will take care of the rest."

8. What do you think is the goal of the Holy Father in making the Traditional Latin Mass available widely and without impediment?

Fr. Milich responds:
"I thank God for Pope Benedict. The Church IS Roman and he has made Rome an ally and defender of Tradition as it has historically been. We live in this fascinating transitional time when the Pope is trying to guide us back to our own Tradition. We don't want to miss being part of this tremendous adventure. That being said, I feel very strongly the need for further clarifications from Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei on Summorum Pontificum.  In spite of the very Roman clarity of the document, there are people who still wish to impose impediments.  All of us in parishes have a certain trepidation that this treasure could be taken from us."


9. Who is your patron saint and how does he or she inspire you to holiness? 

Fr. Milich responds:
"I have several patron saints--Nicholas of Myra/Bari is my baptismal patron, I took Paul as my confirmation name, and said my first Mass on the Feast of Peter and Paul. I have a special love for Therese of Lisieux.  And there are several others...I think of them as my family."